Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Beginnings

This is a time in my life where all things are new.  I moved my family across the world from South Korea to land in the midwest of the good ole' USA.  I have a new country, new city, new house, new (new to me at least) car, new school, and a new role as a middle school teacher (I use to teach high school).  I am ankle deep in newness.  And it is good.  It is different.  There is a lot of change. But it is good. 

In the middle of all these new things in my life I would be remiss if I didn't spend time thinking about all the new students I will get this year.  I wonder what they will be like:  How tall are American middle school students these days? What are they interested in?  What instructional strategies will work best for them?  And more than anything, what do I hope they learn from my class?  What do I hope that they can take away after one year of being in my class?

And as I spent time pondering, especially the last two questions, I began to dream big.  I hope that my students CARE.  Care for others.  Care for the less fortunate.  Care for people in other countries.  Care for the student sitting next to them.  Care to learn.  Care to serve.  Care for themselves.  I hope they are caring. 

I hope they INQUIRE.  I hope I do not stiffle their creative juices, but rather I hope to set them free to think about new things, to research, to investigate, to be an INQUIRER. 

I hope they LOVE well.  I hope they love in a way that respects, takes risks, is couragous, and is contagious.

And I hope they dream.  Dreaming is a beautiful thing.  Dreaming took me to Korea.  Dreaming helped make me a mom.  Dreaming allowed me to be a teacher.  Future students of mine, what do you dream about?  Who do you want to be?  A week from today let's start figuring out how to make dreams a reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment