Sunday, September 5, 2010

the vision

Growing up I was constantly playing sports.  I literally spent all my free time playing on some sort of competitive team, and as I look back on that time of my life I can honestly say that I learned so many great life lessons from my time as an athlete.  One of those lessons was that being a utility player has its advantages. 

Early on in my athletic career I struggled because I never felt like I was great at any one thing.  I felt like I was an all around good basketball player, but I was never the fastest kid, the tallest player, or biggest scorer.  When I played softball I was not known for being "the best" shortstop; rather I played almost every position throughout my short career.  In an effort to show transparency I must admit that I'm an overachiever to the core, so this sense of never being "the best"or having a "specialty" really nagged at me.  I felt like I was never good enough. I was incomplete, dare I say, even a failure.  

Then one day it dawned on me....Maybe not having just one specialty or focus is okay. In fact, maybe it's even a good thing!  I slowly realized that because I developed a variety of skills that I was good at (even though I may not have been "the best") I got to become a central part of my team.  I began to notice that I was a utility player; I was a person that could play many roles with a sense of competence.  I could effectively play numerous positions or perform a variety of skills, and as a result, I was able receive a lot of playing time on the court and offer substantial contributions to the successes of my team.  

Now here I am, years removed from my athletic days, and this concept of being a utility player still seems relevant in my life.  This is my third year as a high school social studies teacher at an international school in South Korea.  I love teaching and blogging (see my personal blog here) and after getting some experience under my belt in both arenas I have decided that I want to contribute to the conversation of how to be an educator in the 21st Century.  However, as I have been mulling over this idea to start a professional blog I have felt discouraged because if I am going to start a blog I need some "thing" to blog about.  In order to make a worthy contribution to my field I need to be an expert at something like history, technology, or educational pedagogy.  And I am not an expert.  I am not "the best" at any one educational topic so it seemed that the idea having my own professional blog would be an impossibility. 

Then it dawned on me. I may not be an expert on one facet of education but I have a little bit to say about a variety of educational topics.  I realized that as a teacher I am a utility player and that can be a great thing.  Teachers are, to some extent, forced to be a jack-of-all-trades.  As a teacher I must demonstrate proficiency in being a communicator, researcher, technological leader, club sponsor, coach, lesson planner, collaborator, listener...the list could go on.  Teachers are by nature utility players in school communities.   So instead of doing a blog about one thing I've decided to make this blog about the all different facets of education that I get to participate in.  At times this blog may seem disjointed or scattered and I am okay with that.  Being a teacher is about juggling numerous ideas, activities, and interests, and I'm excited to share some of my musings and experiences in my various roles as a educator in the 21st Century.  

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to you on your new project! I think this is great. The concept of being a utility player is something I think a lot of people can relate to. I can see how being a utility player and teaching are a perfect fit. Any advice to someone like me who is looking for a career and is okay/good at a variety of things but doesn't have a specialty? I'm interested in your thoughts as I'm so intrigued by this concept you've presented. PS- You're even more intelligent than I thought because you used the word "pedagogy" and I have no idea what that means :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, you've picked a great central meme for this blog, and I will read it eagerly. I for one have always loved this facet of teaching-- high school teaching in particular-- and it played a large part in keeping me from pursuing PhD work in my (or any other)academic field. I love teaching-- and particularly teaching as many different classes as I do-- because I'm endless curious about so many different subjects. The high school environment, and your ability to both teach and "coach", allow for the exploration of so many different ideas and activities!

    Finally, I appreciate the particular metaphor, and I'd add another-- "Renaissance Woman." A rose by any other name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hattie--thanks for the comment! I'm not sure I have any advice to offer per say because I'm still coming to terms with being a "utility player." Sometimes I still wish I had that "thing" I was known for. But the more I learn about myself, the more I realize I wouldn't be content with one "thing" to do. I like variety and so I think I need to stick with a career choice where I am asked to do a variety of tasks. Don't know if that's helpful...but at least know you're not alone!

    Jim--thanks for the comment! I felt really encouraged by what you said! I always feel inspired and excited to be in the field of education when I chat with you. I hope you're year is off to a great start.

    To Jim and Hattie both--sorry for my delay in commenting back! It won't take this long again. I forgot to set up this blog to send comments to my email, so I was a bit slow in checking in. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete